Friday, October 1, 2010

Project 333- a minimalist wardrobe challenge

Today I embark on my first minimalist fashion challenge with Project 333. Here is the basic outline of what it is if you don't feel like clicking on the link:

  • Pick 33 fashion items including clothes, shoes, jewelry, accessories, outerwear to use as your wardrobe Oct 1- Dec 31.
  • What's not included in those 33: undergarments, workout clothes(thank goodness), wedding ring, in home loungewear.

My own adjustments to the rules:

  • I'm not counting jewelry and accessories in my 33 because of two reasons: 1) I have a toddler so accessories and jewelery are liabilities on a day to day basis. The only time I can wear them is when I'm out and about without him, which is rare. Chances are I won't even use any in the next 3 months. 2) I feel jewelery and accessories help to make a minimal wardrobe possible. They are what adds umph to a basic wardrobe without taking up a lot of space.
  • I'm not counting my purse because for me it's a utilitarian piece, it's like asking a man to not carry a wallet or money clip. My purse is small and I tend to have to alternate it with a diaper bag. It literally holds my coin purse, a folded shopping bag (courtesy of my pal Tara), a pen, and sometimes my phone (all things I can't leave home without.)

You may ask why do this? What can you expect to get out of such an experience? Good questions.

First, I like a challenge.

Second, lately I have been working on going minimal in my life. I'm tired of too much stuff in my home and life. I've been slowly cleaning out the house and this will help me to make some final decisions on my wardrobe. At the end I don't expect to stick with just these 33 fashion items. I suspect I'll greet some old favorites with fervor and be able to let go of others that I forgot about. My vintage clothes that only get worn on special occasions probably will stay since I'm passionate about those clothes and they are my wardrobe gems. I hope to get rid of the silly guilt I feel when I look at clothes I rarely wear. I hope to spend less time figuring out what to wear and spend more time experiencing life. I'm sure my heart will still go pitter patter when I walk through Anthropologies but I will learn to think my purchases out more thoroughly.

Life is about experiences not things. As much as I hate to admit it, I got sucked into acquiring things to a certain extent. These things started to control my life; bigger house to fit all my things, having to clean around them, worry over my spawn destroying my precious things, etc. It's time to let go of things and be free. It has been tough, there was a lot of unfounded fear upon letting things go to start with. Now that I've let so much go those unfounded fears were replaced with a sense of freedom, accomplishment and clarity. During the process of picking my 33 things I managed to weed out even more clothes to give away, yay for me!

Here is the part you've all been waiting for, my list of 33 wardrobe items:

  1. CK skinny blue jeans
  2. BKE bootcut jeans
  3. BKE black skinny jeans waiting to be purchased on Monday
  4. Grey Gap Skirt
  5. Long Brown Skirt
  6. Black Skirt
  7. Grey Short Sleeve Tee
  8. Black Short Sleeve Tee
  9. Plum Tank
  10. Grey Tank
  11. Long Sleeve Grey Tee
  12. Long Sleeve Brown Tee
  13. Long Sleeve Green Tee
  14. Brobee Tee Shirt
  15. INC Pullover Tissue Hoodie
  16. Big Grey Sweater
  17. Pink Sweater
  18. Olive Sweater
  19. Wool Shrug
  20. Cotton Shrug
  21. Knit Poncho
  22. Grey Cord Jacket
  23. Pink Northface Jacket
  24. Long Black Gap Coat
  25. Dansko Mary Jane Clogs
  26. DKNY Grey Felt Mary Janes
  27. Black Boots
  28. Brown Boots
  29. John Fluevog Wing Tips
  30. Grey Stripe 3/4 Sleeve Sweater
  31. Grey Leggings
  32. Striped A Line Mod Dress
  33. Black 3/4 Length Tux Style Jacket

We will be having a yard sale next week as part of our clearing out the crap experience. I'm sure I'll have a bit to share about that experience since I've never done one.

6 comments:

  1. Good for you. I'd love to be able to do that but I know there is no way I could get down to only 33 things, especially if shoes are included! Your 33 items sound super cute though and like they'd all work well to make coordinating outfits. Good luck with the yard sale, I had my first (and last) this summer. :) Is it bad that while you're decluttering I'm wishing I could come check out your yard sale?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Feel free to drive out. Probably a good thing I'm on the opposite side of the country ;)

    It took a lot of thought on some of the items and others it was easy to decide. I made several drafts of my list before I settled on the final one around 9:00 this morning. It was sad to pack some things away knowing I wouldn't see them again for 3 months.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Followed your facebook link. I joined the challenge too and agonized over my list. I also made several drafts.
    I included my purse on my list because the rules said to, but I agree with you that I consider it more a necessity. I know some people change their purses to match their outfits but I only have one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yeah! I like your priorities! Simplify! Simplify!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely LOVE the idea of minimizing, but I'm not sure I'm in a good enough headspace to be able to pull it off right now. So, I'll cheer you on from the sidelines while I get buried under all our stuff. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. that's great, nice idea of yours. Having priorities is really good. More power!

    ReplyDelete